Lucky 7: Professional Tips for Online Poker
Poker is one of the most popular online table games, and has grown even more during the shutdowns. Want a piece of the action? Here are 7 top tips, just in time for the WSOP online tourney, starting December 13.
Poker is one of the most popular games played on the internet today, and has been for the better half of the last decade. In 2020, players confined to their homes have upped the online action even more.
There are lots of benefits to playing online. First, it provides access to a larger pool of players, and makes it easy to join rooms and/or discussion forums with perfect strangers. To give and receive feedback from others via opinions, strategies, situations and peer knowledge is essential if you want to be a thriving poker player, whether live or online.
Why Online Poker?
- The action is almost endless. You can play multiple games on a single screen, with cash games and/or tourneys all going at the same time. That exposure can make you a much better player over time. Of course, be sure to play responsibly and within your means.
- If you’re a beginner, this is a good way to get your feet wet and test the waters. Online also is less intimidating than sitting down at a casino table.
- You can play many more variations of poker, some of which your local casino may not offer.
- You can play anytime, anywhere, from the convenience of your cell phone or other device.
- You have the opportunity to play small stakes first, and qualify for bigger tournaments.
Play your favorite games against thousands of players at PokerStars.com! Create a new player account, make your first $20 deposit, and you’ll get an additional $30 in Free Play.
7 Top Tips for Playing Online Poker
- Relax and focus. Concentration is key. Don’t get distracted. Take mental notes about your opponents: how they play, what hands they play, and most importantly, how well or badly they play in the event you get in a hand with them alone.
- Act fast with strong hands. You can build more pots and make more money if you act fast with strong hands. When you can’t actually see the person sitting across from you, you tend to get more calls from people who think acting fast looks more like a bluff.
- If you’re undecided or unsure, just fold. Being a calling station is one of the fastest ways to never become a good poker player. Calling too often and/or in the wrong scenarios is a definite poker no! If you find yourself tanking indecisively, do yourself a solid and fold.
- Bluff aggressively with your draws. You can beat youth if you play online with the aggressive attitude that young poker players tend to display. Be fearless, and bluff at your draws aggressively. “You’ve got to bet it to hit it,” I always say. Even though it doesn’t always play out that way, hopefully you never have to be in a showdown to find out.
- Make smart value bets. At all streets in a hand, but especially at the river, when you know you have the berries, nuts, or the winning hand, tank and think. Take a deep breath, and really contemplate who you’re in the hand with. “How much will they pay me off?” “Will they call a stuff?” “Should I make it look like a bluff?” Take your time and make an intelligent value bet to improve your stack and your overall play as a poker player.
- Run deep, close tables. If you find yourself running deep in an online tournament and you have multiple games or tables going, my advice is to shut ’em down. Cash games can wait. If you’re playing multiple tourneys, you need get focused and comfortable. If you’re deep in a tourney and another tourney seems to be going south, maybe consider the “all in or fold” mode to either double up or bust. You need to be extremely keen and focused when you get into the trenches of any poker tournament. Even though you need a little bit of luck in any card game, skill in the long run and in the trenches will always prevail.
- Have fun. As with anything in life, if you’re not having fun, you’re wasting your time, effort, and happiness. If you can’t provide yourself with a peaceful (whatever that may be for you) and serene environment to play online games, be it chess, poker, or tiddlywinks, if you’re not having fun, don’t waste your money or sanity.
PartyPoker.com welcomes new players with a FREE Play offer. Just make a qualifying deposit, and you’ll get tickets worth up to $30 for SPINS and multi-table tournaments.
WSOP 2020 Main Event Update
The 2020 World Series of Poker Main Event will take place online on WSOP.com starting December 13 and conclude with a live final table that plays down to a winner on December 28 in Las Vegas.
- Day 1 will begin online in Nevada and New Jersey on Sunday, December 13 at 12 noon PST. It will consist of 12 hours of play and be paused at the conclusion of the 20th level. Be ready for a long grind.
- Day 2 will begin online in Nevada and New Jersey on Monday, December 14 at 12 noon PST. Starting with level 21, it will play for approximately one hour. Once level 22 begins, it will go back to 30-minute levels. Day 2’s play will continue for however long it takes to reach the final 9 players.
- The Final Table will be in Las Vegas on Monday, December 28, LIVE at the Rio Hotel & Suites. Play will continue until we have a new gold bracelet and a 2020 WSOP Main Event Champion.
For more information, visit WSOP.com.
For more poker insights, stay tuned to iGamingPlayer.com! Subscribe below today.